Asphalt Green created the Swim for the Future Scholarship in honor of the Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics (AGUA) Masters swim team members, Andrew Fisher and Doug Irgang who lost their lives during the 9/11 attack. The Swim for the Future Scholarship is awarded to talented swimmers on the youth Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics (AGUA) swim team who are in need of financial support. This scholarship has helped make the AGUA swim team one of the most diverse swim teams in the country.
Swim for the Future Scholarship recipients have excelled in the swimming world, placing in the top at regional, national, and international swim competitions, while also breaking personal, team, and national age group records. Scholarship recipient Lia Neal took the Swim for the Future Scholarship to a new level of prestige when she won a bronze medal in the 4x100m freestyle relay in the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
Swim for the Future Swim Meet
Every fall, Asphalt Green celebrates the Swim for the Future Scholarship at the Swim for the Future Swim Meet. We welcome confident swimmers (both children and adults) to compete in the swim meet, especially those on AGUA Team and AGUA Masters Team. Adult and child swimmers are placed on integrated teams and compete in four individual events (50 Butterfly, 50 Backstroke, 50 Breaststroke, 50 Freestyle) and one medley relay. The swim meet has a $50 entry fee, which directly supports the Swim for the Future Scholarship.
The next Swim for the Future Swim Meet will take place on October 17, 2014. See below for details.
- Event: Swim for the Future Swim Meet
- Date: Friday, October 17, 2014
- Location: Asphalt Green, AquaCenter, 555 East 90th St., New York, NY 10128
- Time: 5:30pm-8:30pm
- Details: Doors open at 5:30pm; Scholarship presentation is at 6pm; Swim meet runs from 6:20pm to 8:30pm
- Register for Swim Meet: Click here to register for the Swim for the Future Swim Meet. Entry fee is $50. Entry fees are waived if you donate more than $50.
- Attend the Swim Meet: Please join us in the stands to cheer on the swimmers and scholarship recipients. If you can attend, please RSVP by October 10, 2014 by emailing RSVP@asphaltgreen.org or call 646.981.2233.
DONATE TO SWIM FOR THE FUTURE SCHOLARSHIPS
A copy of Asphalt Green's latest annual report may be obtained, upon request, from Asphalt Green or from the New York State Attorney General's Charities Bureau, Attn: FOIL Officer, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.