Test your child's listening skills with our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game of the month, Spark! Bonus: This game can be played in small spaces and requires little equipment.
Who: Grades 3 to 5
Time: 15 minutes+
Pair students up side by side with a cone between each set up two.
How to Play:
- Pair up! Stand side by side.
- Place acone between each partner (instruct the students not to touch the cone).
- Designate a student to be “Spark Leader” or facilitate it yourself. Students must follow the Spark Leader's movements.
- When the leader says “SPARK,” try to grab the cone before your partner.
- If you grab the cone first, you win! Give your partner a high-five and find a new partner.
Conflict Resolution Tip
Use Rock, Paper, Scissors to determine a winner if students grab the cone at the same time.
Play: REP it Out
EASY: All movements on two feet.
MEDIUM: Add specific movements with balance and holding movements.
HARD: Have each group five feet between the cone and have students skip or hop to grab the cone.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team: