Itching for an adventure, but can’t leave the house? Let your child's imagination run wild to dodge magical monsters to get to the temple's hidden treasure. Our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game Temple Runner will get kids' heart rates up in no time!
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10+ minutes
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play:
- Grab a seat! A leader should be selected and facing all players.
- We are looking for an ancient temple containing treasure, but there are a lot of obstacles guarding it that we will have to overcome. To get to the treasure, players must stay in their seats.
- A facilitator will call a series of commands:
- Run: Move your feet as quickly as you can (as if you were running away from monsters guarding the temple).
- Stop: Stop moving your feet.
- Reach up: Reach your arms up to collect coins.
- Lean: Lean your body to one side to stay on the temple path.
- Do the actions with the players at the beginning of the game so they understand the motions.
- Stories make everything more interesting. Create a storyline for your adventure to help keep kids engaged. Unsure of where to start? Look for inspiration from your favorite books or movies, or by asking the players themselves where they would like to head.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do when the facilitator says, "REACH UP?"
- Do you move from your seat?
Conflict Resolution Tip:
- If a player makes a mistake, have him or her do four shoulder rolls to rejoin the game.
Play: REP IT OUT
EASY: Keep players seated.
MEDIUM: Have players stand for certain movements.
HARD: Add different movements to the series of commands.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.