Get your kids active with our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) game, Needle and Thread! This circle game is ideal for larger spaces where kids can really run. It will get the blood pumping and have everyone exhausted by the end while also working out the most important muscle of all — the brain!
Needle and Thread
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 15 minutes+
Where: Small playground
How to Play
- Form a circle! One person will be the “Needle” and the other person will be the “Thread.”
- The “Needle” will start inside or outside the circle. The “Thread" must start on the opposite side of the “Needle.”
- Whenever the “Needle” runs between two people in the circle, they must link hands and create a barrier. The “Thread” cannot break the link.
- The “Needle” must try to close the circle without getting tagged by the “Thread.”
- If tagged, do 5 jumping jacks and rejoin the circle. A new “Needle and Thread” will be chosen.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do if the “Needle" runs between two people?
- Can the “Thread” break the link?
- Have students cheer each other on.
- Have students high-five if they get tagged.
- Have students skip or hop to lower the energy.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Tag on shoulders
Medium: Hope on two feet
Hard: Tag on the elbow
You May Also Like:
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.