Twizzle is a circle game that requires no equipment and very little space. Players need to listen closely for the commands and be quick in their responses. If they’re too slow, players may have to do some jumping jacks!
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 15+ minutes
- Students form a circle
HOW TO PLAY:
- Form a circle. Listen for the commands.
- When you hear:
- ‘Go’ - walk in the direction you are facing •
- ‘Stop’ - freeze
- ‘Turn’ - do a half turn (180 degrees) and freeze
- ‘Twizzle’ - do a full jump (360 degrees) and freeze
- If you make a mistake, do five jumping jacks, and rejoin the game.
- What do you do for a ‘turn’?
- Practice the commands with students before starting the game.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- If a student makes a mistake give them a high-five.
- Have students jog slowly in a circle.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Walk in a circle
MEDIUM: Side shuffle in a circle
HARD: Hop on one foot in a circle
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team:
- Cookie Monster: A twist on tag that encourages careful attention to the rules—and lots of running
- Rock-Paper-Scissor Championship: A high-energy twist on the classic recess game
- Up, Down, Stomp, Clap: This indoor recess game is perfect for play in small spaces
- Straddle Ball: Nobody’s ever out in Straddle Ball. All you need is a ball and a group of people
- Switch: This outdoor recess game keeps kids moving from start to finish
- Helicopter: This recess game gets kids hopping and having fun in no time
- Band Aid Tag: An outdoor recess game where everybody’s “it”