Everyone can get involved in recess with Helicopter. In this active playground game, players are challenged to jump over a jump rope “propeller.” But the hopping doesn’t stop there; players that get hit by the propeller must complete five jumping jacks to get back in the game. Helicopter gets kids hopping and having fun in no time!
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Hallway, classroom, playground, cafeteria, library, gym, auditorium
Equipment: 1-2 long double dutch ropes
HOW TO PLAY:
- Form a circle and stand 6 feet away from each other.
- This jump rope is the helicopter.
- Jump over the helicopter every time it comes near your feet.
- If the helicopter touches your feet, step back and do four lunges.
- Rejoin the game.
- What do you do when the helicopter comes near your feet?
- What happens if the helicopter touches you?
- Don't let players handle the jump rope.
- Have more than one game going to decrease waiting time.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Use one jump rope.
MEDIUM: Use two jump ropes.
HARD: Jump on one foot.