Everyone can get involved in recess with October’s game of the month: Helicopter. In this active playground game, students are challenged to jump over a jump rope “propeller.” But the hopping doesn’t stop there; students that get hit by the propeller must complete five jumping jacks to get back in the game. Helicopter gets kids hopping and having fun in no time!
Who: Kindergarten through grade 5
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Small playground
- 1-2 jump ropes
- Students form a circle
HOW TO PLAY:
- Make a circle.
- This jump rope is the helicopter.
- Jump over the helicopter every time it comes near your feet.
- If the helicopter touches your feet, step back and do four lunges.
- Rejoin the game.
- What do you do when the helicopter comes near your feet?
- What happens if the helicopter touches you?
- Have students take over as the helicopter, but make sure they keep the jump rope close to the group and on the ground.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- Have students who get touched spin the jump rope.
- Have more than one game going to decrease waiting time.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Use one jump rope.
MEDIUM: Use two jump ropes.
HARD: Jump on one foot.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team: