When the weather prevents children from playing outside, you have to get creative to keep kids active. Our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game of the month, Kock Down Ball, is the inverse of dodgeball and perfect indoor game. instead of trying hit players on the opposing team with a ball, you try to avoid it. Students are required to work together to catch passes from their own teammates. The best part is the game isn't over until every student has participated. Here's how to play:
Knock Down Ball
Who: Grades 3-5
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Indoor gymnasium
Equipment: Cones to create boundary
How to Play
- Split the group into two teams. Each team chooses two catchers. The catcher's job is to stand behind the opposing team's back line (boundary) and catch passes from his or her teammates.
- Players will throw the ball over the opposing team without crossing the middle line.
- If the catcher successfully catches the ball, the player who threw the ball will join the catcher behind the line and also become a catcher.
- As the ball is being thrown, opposing players can attempt to knock the ball down but cannot cross the back line (boundary).
- The first team to get all players behind the opposing team’s back line wins the game.
Use Rock-Paper-Scissors to solve disagreements.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Use 4-6 gator balls
MEDIUM: Use 8-10 gator balls
HARD: Start game with one catcher.
You may also like: