Mountains and Valleys is our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) favorite indoor game to reduce bullying and promote teamwork. It's a simple game that encourages players to flex their strategic thinking muscles to overcome their opponents. Working as a team? The team that figures out teamwork is the key to success first will likely be the winner. Here's how to play:
Mountains and Valleys
Who: Grades K to 5
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Indoors, on the floor or any hard surface like a table
Equipment: 15-20 items that have two distinct sides (hats, paper plates, books, etc.)
How to Play
- Form two teams. One will be the Mountains and one will be the Valleys.
- Spread out the 15-20 items on the floor or any designated wide surface. Designate which side of each item will represent mountains and which side will represent Valleys.
- Set a timer for one minute. Team Mountain will try to flip all of the items so the mountain side points toward the ceiling; Team Valley will attempt to flip all items so the valley side points toward the ceiling.
- The items can be flipped multiple times, but you can only flip one item at a time.
- The teams will try to make as many mountains or valleys as possible in one minute. If there are more mountains than valleys, Team Mountain wins the round. If there are more valleys, Team Valley wins.
Adapt the game to the number of players you have and the size of your area! Not enough floor space? Use a table with some paper plates or coins. Only one person playing? Time yourself and try and beat your own record.
Use rock-paper-scissors to break a tie.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Let players flip as many ways as possible (two hands).
MEDIUM: Limit players to flipping one way (one hand).
HARD: Set the timer for 30 seconds.