Keep active inside by playing an indoor Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game! All it takes to play Up, Down, Stomp, Clap is a willingness to join the fun!
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 10+ minutes
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
HOW TO PLAY:
- Everyone, pick a seat. You will do a lot of moving but you will not move from your seats.
- A designated leader gives a series of commands for players to follow. When the leader says:
- UP, raise your arms up.
- DOWN, put your arms down
- STOMP, stomp your feet once.
- CLAP, clap once.
- Listen very carefully because in the next round gets harder.
- Round 2: UP and DOWN are opposites.
- Round 3: UP and DOWN and STOMP and CLAP are opposites.
Make sure the leader does the actions with the players for Round 1 so everyone understands.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do when the facilitator says "down" in round 2?
- What do you do when you make a mistake?
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- Have the students do four arm circles if a mistake is made and then quickly rejoin the game.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Only use Round 1.
MEDIUM: Only use Round 1 and 2.
HARD: Use roune 3 and sdd different movements into the series of commands.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.