One of our best stress-relieving games is Rock-Paper-Scissors Championship. Unlike a traditional game of rock-paper-scissors, this high-energy version builds team spirit and support but can still be played in any indoor or outdoor space. When students or children just can’t sit still any longer, try a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors Championship!
Who: Grades 3-5
Time: 20+ minutes
- Students pair up
HOW TO PLAY:
- Find a partner!
- When I say go, you will play Rock-Paper-Scissors.
- Rock beats scissors.
- Scissors beats paper.
- Paper beats rock.
- If you win, find another winner and play against them.
- If you don’t win, you become your partner’s cheering squad.
- Keep playing until there is a final round between 2 players and their cheering squads.
- What does paper beat?
- What happens if you don’t win?
- Have students repeat “rock, paper, scissors say shoot” before starting.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- Play multiple rounds to have more than one champion.
- Have student use Rock-Paper-Scissors to resolve any conflict at recess.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Walk to next player.
MEDIUM: Have students cheer with inside voices.
HARD: Rock-Paper-Scissors while running in place.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team:
- Up, Down, Stomp, Clap: This indoor recess game is perfect for play in small spaces
- Straddle Ball: Nobody’s ever out in Straddle Ball. All you need is a ball and a group of people
- Switch: This outdoor recess game keeps kids moving from start to finish
- Helicopter: This recess game gets kids hopping and having fun in no time
- Band Aid Tag: An outdoor recess game where everybody’s “it”