Getting in the back-to-school groove? So are we, and we’re itching to get back to recess! When it comes to fun, our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) coaches have you covered. Kick off the school year by rounding up the kids for a game of Community, the perfect activity to make friends and get exercise!
Who: Grades Kindergarten to 5
Time: 15 minutes +
Where: Gym or field
Create a square or rectangular boundary.
HOW TO PLAY:
- Players walk around within the boundary.
- Instructor calls out a number, and players must create a a group of that number of students, called a community.
- You form a community by linking arms.
- If participants can’t form a community of the number called, players do five jumping jacks to rejoin the game.
- Tip for instructor: Call smaller numbers in beginning rounds.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
For each round, communities must be made up of different students to promote inclusion.
Use color cones to call out colors and numbers together.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Communities can’t make any noise.
MEDIUM: Players solve an addition or subtraction equation before creating a community. For example, 5–2=3. Make a community of three people.
HARD: Players solve a multiplication or division equation before creating a community. For example, 2x3=6. Make a community of six people.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team:
- Twizzle: No equipment is needed for this get-everyone-moving game
- Cookie Monster: A twist on tag that encourages careful attention to the rules—and lots of running
- Rock-Paper-Scissor Championship: A high-energy twist on the classic recess game
- Up, Down, Stomp, Clap: This indoor recess game is perfect for play in small spaces
- Straddle Ball: Nobody’s ever out in Straddle Ball. All you need is a ball and a group of people
- Helicopter: This recess game gets kids hopping and having fun in no time
- Band Aid Tag: An outdoor recess game where everybody’s “it”