The Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics Swim Team had a successful meet at the first-ever Futures Championships, held in Greensboro, North Carolina, from July 30 to August 2. The 12-member team raced to a third-place finish, earning a spot on the podium. And the excitement didn’t stop there.
Krystal Lara won the 100-meter backstroke. Her time of 1:03.28 in the prelims Saturday morning punched her ticket to the U.S. Olympic Trials.
AGUA ended the meet with a bang, earning two 400-meter medley relay medals. The A team won the race by over two seconds, while the B team fought hard to grab eighth place and secure a third-place overall team finish for AGUA.
Over the course of the weekend, AGUA swimmers set personal bests and record-breaking swims. In addition to Lara, seven athletes qualified for Summer Junior Nationals and Winter Junior Nationals combined.
Congratulations to all our swimmers on a fantastic meet! Check out our qualifying athletes:
- Krystal Lara: 100-meter backstroke (15-18 and open AGUA records)
Summer Junior Nationals:
- Krystal Lara: 100-meter butterfly (15-18 and open AGUA records)
- Carly Fried: 100-meter breast stroke
- Krystal Lara, Nicole Aarts, Molly Brickman, Alessia McGowan: 400-meter freestyle relay (Metro record and 15-18 AGUA record)
- Krystal Lara, Carly Fried, Nicole Aarts, Molly Brickman: 400-meter medley relay (15-18 AGUA Record)
- Lara, Brickman, Gormley, Aarts: 800-meter freestyle relay
Winter Junior Nationals:
- Aaron Glas: 400, 800, 1,500-meter freestyles (personal best in 1,500-meter swim)
- Nicole Aarts: 100-meter backstroke
- Isabel Gormley: 400-meter individual medley
- Krystal Lara: 100-meter freestyle