National Learn to Swim Day is this Saturday, May 21. At Asphalt Green, we believe swimming is a right, not a privilege, and our goal is for people of all ages to learn the skill. Drowning is the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death in children ages 1 to 14. Beyond safety, swimming is an excellent way for adults and kids to get physically fit.
In New York City, finding a place to swim is often an obstacle, but luckily, here at Asphalt Green, we have pools at both our Upper East Side and Battery Park City campuses. Warmer weather is here to stay (hopefully), so cool off in our pools this Saturday and celebrate National Learn to Swim Day. Here are a few ways you can get in on the fun:
- Enroll in swimming lessons! You are never too young or too old to learn to swim. Whether your goal is to swim recreationally or competitively, learning proper technique is essential if you want to continue to grow and enjoy the sport. Starting young is always encouraged; a 2009 study found that kids ages 1 to 4 years old who had taken swimming lessons showed a reduced risk of drowning by 88 percent.
- Go the less structured route, and visit our pools during family recreation time. Like learning anything new, swimming takes practice. Relaxed swimming time with family is just as important as structured lessons! Your little ones will be ecstatic to show off their new skills (under your careful supervision and that of a certified lifeguard).
- Speaking of lifeguards, get certified! Be prepared to handle emergencies by learning life-saving skills. Take a lifeguard, CPR, or first aid class. Get your credentials in time to land the perfect summer job.
- Discuss the importance of water safety with your family. The most important thing that parents can do is educate their children to foster a healthy and positive respect for the water. The earlier children begin the learn-to-swim process, the sooner they will begin to understand their capabilities and limitations in the pool.
- Support our free learn-to-swim Waterproofing program. Asphalt Green teaches over 3,000 elementary school students from public schools across New York City to swim each year. Help us teach even more kids by making a donation today.
However you choose to celebrate, the most important thing is to get out there and practice your swim skills. See you in the pool!