In New York City apartments, a challenge to your at-home workout routine is striking the balance between being a good neighbor and getting an effective sweat session in. If you find yourself quietly asking for forgiveness after every squat jump, we have an alternative workout that is just as efficient and doesn't require apologies. Asphalt Green personal trainer Alex Myshevskiy shares a no-jumping, high-intensity workout that will get your heart pumping, is easy on your joints, and will keep you in good faith with your neighbors.
Here is how it works. There are five exercises total. Start with one repetition of each exercise to complete one set. Add one repetition to each exercise for every subsequent set until you have completed 10 repetitions of each movement. Finish the workout as quickly as you can while keeping good form top of mind.
Muscles targeted: quads, hamstrings, glutes, lats
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart. Place your hands behind your neck with your elbows out to the side.
- Squat, bending your knees and placing the weight in your heels. Your knees should never go past your feet.
- Stand, returning to starting position.
Easier modification: Place your hands in front of you.
Walkout to Pushup
Muscles targeted: core, chest, shoulders, triceps
- Bend your hips, placing your palms on the floor.
- Walk your hands out to pushup position. Try to avoid too much rotation in the hips to work your core.
- Do a pushup.
- Walk your hands back to your feet, return to standing, and lift your arms in the air.
Easier modification: Do the walkout without a pushup.
Reverse Lunge to Knee Drive
Muscles targeted: glutes, hamstrings, quads, core
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart. Take a large step backward with your left foot.
- Bend at your hips so your right knee forms a 90-degree angle. Your left heel should be lifted off of the floor.
- Drive your left knee up so you are in standing position.
- Place your foot down to return to starting position. Repeat on the right side to complete one repetition.
Easier modification: Do the exercise without the knee drive.
Bear Crawl Position Shoulder Taps
Muscles targeted: shoulders, core, glutes, quads
- Start in tabletop position with your wrists under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Lift your knees 1 to 2 inches off of the floor.
- Keeping your hips steady, tap your right hand to left shoulder. Return to start, keeping your knees lifted. Then, tap your left hand to your right shoulder. That is one rep.
Easier option: Do the exercise in a high plank position.
Muscles targeted: abdominals
- Lie on back with your feet straight in front of you and arms lifted overhead.
- In one movement, lift your legs and shoulders off of the ground, reaching your hands for your toes.
- Lower your body to starting position.
Easier modification: Bend your knees to complete the exercise.
You may also like:
Easy Goals You Can Set While Social Distancing
How to Motivate Yourself to Work Out From Home