Change-Up Basketball is a fun spin on the game of basketball that ensures all kids are included. Everyone touches the ball in this fast-paced, action-packed outdoor recess game.
Who: Grades 2-5
Time: 20+ minutes
Where: Large playground
- Square or rectangular boundary
HOW TO PLAY:
- Line up! We are going to make three teams.
- Team A will play Team B on the basketball court. Team C will wait on the sideline.
- The team that scores first, will stay on and other team will go to the sideline. Team C will become the new defense team and play the winning team.
- The team with the most points wins.
- How many times do you need to score to win?
- Where do you go if your team does not score?
- A team cannot continuously score more than three times.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- If neither team scores, have students play Rock-Paper-Scissors to decide who continues to play.
- •Have a two to three minute time limit for each game.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Make one basket.
MEDIUM: Must make three passes to score.
HARD: Must score within one minute.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team:
- Ultimate Football: A playground-friendly game with no tackling—or touching
- Straddle Ball: Nobody’s ever out in Straddle Ball. All you need is a ball and a group of people
- Switch: This outdoor recess game keeps kids moving from start to finish
- Helicopter: This recess game gets kids hopping and having fun in no time
- Band Aid Tag: An outdoor recess game where everybody’s “it”