Grocery shopping has a new meaning in this heart-pumping playground game for kids. Our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) game of the month Grocery Store will keep your child's mind sharp and body active.
Who: Grades 1 to 5
Time: 20 minutes+
Where: Indoor gymnasium or playground
- Cones to create a square or rectangular boundary
- Additional different color cones to represent food items
How to Play:
- Instruct students to spread out and start walking within the boundary.
- When the moderator says, "freeze," stop and listen for the grocery items being called out.
- Run to the cone that is the color of the item called, and stay there until the next round begins.
- If a player runs to the wrong cone, instruct him or her to do five jumping jacks, and then rejoin the game.
Conflict Resolution Tip:
- Have multiple cones of the same colors set up within the boundary.
Play: REP it Out
EASY: Instruct student to walk or skip to cones.
MEDIUM: Instruct students to hop on one foot.
HARD: Call out more than one item at once.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team: