If you are unable to hold in-person activities, we also offer free trainings on engaging kids in movement through virtual programming. Check out our remote trainings here.
This popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, Kitty Cat Careers, gets kids' bodies and minds active.
Kitty Cat Careers
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 15 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
Equipment: Cones or tape
How to Play
- Players form a circle standing 6 feet away from each other. The facilitator will place a cone in front of you. After setup is complete, the facilitator will stand in the middle of the circle and will be the first kitty cat.
- The first citty cat acts out a career without talking. Meowing is OK! For example, he or she acts out cutting someone’s hair.
- Players shout out their guesses.
- When the kitty cat hears the correct response (in our example, hair stylist), he or she shouts, “Yes,” and everyone sings, “Meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow. Kitty Cat Careers! (clap, clap) Kitty Cat Careers!”
- The person who guessed correctly moves to the middle of the circle and becomes the next kitty cat.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do when you’re the kitty cat?
- Practice the song before starting the game.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- If two players shout out the correct answer at the same time, have them play rock-paper-scissors to see who will be the next kitty cat.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Choose other animals to pretend to be when in the center of the circle.
Medium: No noises allowed!
Hard: Put a time limit on how long each kitty cat can be in the middle. If no one guesses correctly, everyone does five jumping jacks!