Get your kids active with our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) modern twist on tag. Players (ants) try to collect cones without getting tagged by the exterminator. This game requires strategy and patience and gets your heart pumping.
Ants and Exterminators
Who: Grades 3 to 5
Time: 15 minutes+
Where: Large playground
Create a square or rectangular boundary.
HOW TO PLAY:
- Players (ants) start by lining up on one side of the boundary, which is their home boundary, and one child or the game facilitator is selected as the exterminator.
- Ants must pick up a cone and bring it back to their side without getting tagged by the exterminator.
- Ants can only pick up one cone at a time.
- If you are tagged by the exterminator, you must put the cone back, do 10 jumping jacks, and start over.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
Use Rock, Paper, Scissors to resolve any conflicts.
Switch to walking or skipping to lower the energy of the game.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
MEDIUM: Hop on two feet.
HARD: Hop on one foot.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team:
- Twizzle: No equipment is needed for this get-everyone-moving game
- Cookie Monster: A twist on tag that encourages careful attention to the rules—and lots of running
- Rock-Paper-Scissor Championship: A high-energy twist on the classic recess game
- Straddle Ball: Nobody’s ever out in Straddle Ball. All you need is a ball and a group of people
- Helicopter: This recess game gets kids hopping and having fun in no time