If you’re stuck inside and not sure what to do this winter, REP is here with a solution. Play our game of the month, Straddle Ball! All you need is a ball, a group of people, and a little competitive spirit. Nobody’s ever out in Straddle Ball, so the fun just keeps going. Don’t let cold winter days get you down. Stay safe, active, and fun with Straddle Ball!
Who: Grades 3-5
Time: 15+ minutes
- 1-3 soft balls
- Students form a circle
HOW TO PLAY:
- Form a circle. Go toe-to-toe.
- Squat down to form a "goal" with your legs.
- Use your hands as paddles to hit the ball towards another ‘goal’ and to protect your ‘goal.’
- If the ball goes through your 'goal,’ get the ball, do five jumping jacks (or a silly dance), and rejoin the game.
- The ball must stay on the ground at all times.
- How do protect your ‘goal’?
- What happens when the ball rolls through your ‘goal’?
- Play in “slow motion” to control the energy.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- Be the line leader and have students follow you into a circle to avoid fights.
- With a large group, separate into smaller games.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Use one ball
MEDIUM: Use three balls
HARD: Use one hand
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team:
Ultimate Football: A playground-friendly game with no tackling—or touching
Helicopter: This recess game gets kids hopping and having fun in no time
Band Aid Tag: An outdoor recess game where everybody’s “it”