Who doesn’t love a game of Tic-Tac-Toe? Try an active spin on the classic with our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game of the month, Tic-Tac-Toe Relay. After creating a giant game board, players will race back and forth to complete the set before the other team. But remember, this isn’t your regular Tic-Tac-Toe, so you need to work as a team to come up with a game plan.
Who: Grades 3-5
Time: 10+ minutes
Where: Small playground
Equipment: Six cones and nine hula hoops
How to Play
- Form two teams (Team X and Team O) and line up. Each team will represent a different color cone. Give the first three people on each team cones of their color.
- Use hula hoops to set up a Tic-Tac-Toe board on the opposite end of the playground from where the players are lined up.
- When the facilitator, yells, "Go," the first player on each team races to the Tic-Tac-Toe board, places a cone on the board, and runs back to the starting line.
- The second player on the team goes when the first player runs back and give him or her a high five.
- After three players have run to the board, the next players move their team's cones. The game continues until a team gets three cones in a row.
Instruct students to cheer each other on.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
MEDIUM: Hop on two feet.
HARD: Hop on one foot.
You may also like: