Red Light, Green Light is the perfect game to get kids moving and can be modified for any space.
Red Light, Green Light
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, hallway, playground
How to Play:
- Line up at the starting line! Stand six feet away from each other. I represent the traffic light and you represent the cars.
- When I turn around and say, "green light," you can move toward me.
- When I turn back around and say, "red light," you must freeze.
- If you are caught moving during a red light, return to the starting line.
- If you make it past the traffic light first, then you become the new traffic light.
Check for Understanding
- When can you move?
- Point to the start and finish lines.
- Instead of going back to the starting line, have the player do an exercise to rejoin the game.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP
- Do not feed into any arguments if a player is caught moving during a red light. “You get what you get and you don’t get upset.”
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Walk or side shuffle.
MEDIUM: Freeze for 10 seconds.
HARD: Freeze on one foot.