Kids flex both their creative and physical muscles in our popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game Storytellers.
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players form a circle, standing 6 feet apart from one another.
- All players are storytellers! They will be creating a story together as a group.
- Select a story leader. The leader will start by saying one word, and the person to his or her right will then add another word that connects to it like a story. This pattern will continue throughout the game.
- If a player cannot think of a word to add to the story, then he or she must do 10 jumping jacks before rejoining the game as the new story starter.
Check for Understanding
- How many words does each player add to the story?
- What happens if you cannot think of a word?
- Reinforce that the goal is to create a cohesive story. Players should choose words that link together, not trip each other up.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Ensure that players understand the story will go in many different directions, but if there are any disagreements, players can play rock-paper-scissors to settle them.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Add a sentence.
Medium: Hold a balancing position until the story finishes.
Hard: Jog in place until the story finishes.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.